Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Unveiling!





For the past year or so i've been wanting to get a portrait tattoo of my parents. However, I never had the money to do it. Well, finally the funds came and I found an awesome person to do it so hence, I have two new awesome tattoos. I wanted to completely suprise my parents and tell them nothing of it until I was able to show it to them, and today was finally that day.

On the weekend of July 4th, I got the first one which was the one of my dad. I am glad that he put my dad on top because the shape of his head really forms into my shoulder. They are on my right upper arm, by the way. This one took a bit over 3 hours to do and had some painful areas. However, the majority of it wasn't all the horrible. I never thought i'd be able to sit for a 3 hour tattoo, but I did it. When I know how awesome something is gonna be in the end, I can usually take the process, even if it is not the most comfortable. Pretty much the entire time, I read my People and US Weekly mags. They are the perfect mags to read because you dont have to be completely focused 24/7.

Exactly 1 month later on August 8th, I went to get my mom done. This tattoo was the most painful one i've ever experienced ( I feel as though I know a bit about tattoos now that I have 7). The lowest point of it came almost to my elbow which was not the most pleasant experience. The closer that you get to the bone, the more painful it feels. This one took the same amount of time as the other, and I am so happy with!!

It's so awesome to finally have my idea finished and now I have forever to look at it. It's obvious that i'll never not want it, because it's of my parents.

So today I got my family to come up so that I could do "the unveiling" , and finally see what they would do. I told them that I got a new tattoo and at first it didn't seem too happy, but then I showed them that it was them and they liked it. Mom asked if it was real (prolly because she was SO suprised that I did it). They really seemed to like it and I was glad since I did it even more for them than I did for myself. Mom even asked Nick when he was gonna get a tattoo of them on him. Haha!

I'm very happy with how the tats turned out and am kind of glad that my original idea didn't pan out. Originally, I wanted to get portraits of them from their younger days. I had a few photos of them in the 1970s that I was gonna go with, but because the photos were so small and didn't have enough detail, he couldn't do it. Thus, I ended up getting portraits of them now which I actually like better because that is how I know them.

So i'm gonna leave a few photos from the day and the tattoos up above!


No comments: